Since 2008, I have lost and kept off nearly 60 pounds by changing my eating and exercise habits in the healthiest way possible.
I became a vegetarian and replaced calorie-trap meals with leafy greens, fruits, and vegetables. I ditched the fast food and instead began packing my lunches and preparing most of my meals at home. Preparing meals at home is a surefire way to keep your meals clean, nutritious, and delicious to boot.
I believe in the 80/20 rule. If you eat clean 80% of the time, then you can have whatever you want the other 20%. Yes, that means you’ll see cookies, cake, and frozen yogurt here on occasion. But mostly, you’ll see a large variety of fruit, vegetables, and whole grains.
The funny thing is – once you start eating clean, your taste buds change. And then, somehow, you start to crave vegetables and fruit. And suddenly, processed sugar just doesn’t taste so great.
So what about the rest of the equation? Exercise. Well, I love the endorphins, the runner’s high, and the sweat. Nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment after kicking your own butt.
While you can lose weight with nutrition alone, exercise really takes things up a notch. It does wonders for your mood, your motivation, and your overall dedication. Also, it helps tone up all those places that shrink as you lose weight.
Basically, a combination of exercise and healthy eating is the best way to lose and maintain. Not to mention the fact that it’s the most sustainable way to change your lifestyle. Change is permanent, diets are short-term.
Throughout my weight loss journey, I’ve learned quite a few tips and tricks on how to stay motivated. Since I also write about various other topics, I thought that I’d compile all my weight-loss related posts right here. One stop reading, if you will. Enjoy!
- The New Healthy
- So you want to lose weight?
- Weight Loss Tips
- Weight Loss – Q & A
- Patience + a winner!
- In the words of Nike, just do it
- Losing Motivation
- Work Out [without the gym]
- Exercise Truths
- The dreaded scale: yes or no?
- Check your Attitude at the Door
- Reader’s Request: How to Balance
- Q&A: All about the food